Political Advocacy

Political+Advocacy

The 2020 election has highlighted how important voting is. With many battleground states separated by less than a .5 margin, the election has been filled with tension and anxiety. According to Time Magazine, the voter turnout increased from around 138 million voters in 2016 to around 160 million voters in 2020. With around a 22 million voter increase, the 2020 election has the highest voter turnout in American history. Many of these new voters are part of the younger generations, most notably Generation Z. Long gone are the days of a blasé political attitude, in classrooms across Blessed Trinity, students are exchanging ideas about economic influence, human rights, and international involvement. During the few days before November 3rd, Mr. Tolcher could be found facilitating discussions about Catholicism and Politics, asking seniors to identify how the Catholic points of view could be applied to different issues. The month of October was filled with hard conversations. Now, the class of 2021 has cast their vote.

“Voting is an expression of our freedom,” said senior Maeve O’Neill, “We are so lucky to live in a country where we can vote so our voices are heard, where we can have a say in our government.” For many in the Class of 2021, this is a landmark moment of adulthood and a separation from childhood. “The 2020 Election means a lot to me: it was the first national election I was able to vote in, and it came after interning for five months with a congressional campaign. Being able to make my voice heard through American democracy was truly one of the most impactful moments of my transition into adulthood,” described senior Robert Della Bernarda. Ron Miller added by saying “There’s no one moment that differentiates childhood from adulthood; it’s a journey with a million steps, some forward and some backward. That being said, the step up to the polling booth was a major road mark on the way.”

Yet for many in the Blessed Trinity community, voting was not an option this year. However, many students, participated as Poll Workers this year. “I’m becoming a poll worker because I enjoy being a part of the election process and helping people be a part of free and fair elections. My mom usually manages election polls so when she asked us to help I was happy to. It’s a lot of work but at the end of the day, it’s cool to be a part of it,” Belinda Kumi told the Titan Times. There are many ways that students can be involved in their community. As Mr. Tolcher stated, the Catholic Church believes in addressing issues on the lowest and most local levels. Students can be involved in drives to collect baby clothes and supplies for young, pregnant women who might be considering an abortion because they believe they have no other choice. Students can plant gardens or use no-waste products to protect the environment.

Through following Catholic guidelines, students can carry out the mission of the Church. As America enters the future, students must remember that it is the duty of the Catholic to be politically involved in their community. Always remember to fight for what is right.